Working Group on Extrasolar Planets
Terms of Reference
The Working Group was created with the following terms of reference at
the meeting of the EC in June 1999. The working group was renewed, with
the addition of one member, at GA 24 in August 2000.
The Working group on Extrasolar Planets:
- Will be a Working Group of IAU Division III;
- Will be appointed for an intial period up to the next General
Assembly, then renewable for three years at at time.
- Shall consist of 9-12 persons with scientific knowledge of the
field. A proposal for the membership and Chairman should be prepared
jointly by the presidents of Division III, Commission 16, and
Commission 51 for approval by the EC.
- Shall have as its charge to act as a focal point for international
research on extrasolar planets and organise IAU activities in the
field, building on the preparatory work done by Commission 51. In
particular, it should organise comparative reviews of techniques
used to detect extrasolar planets and establish criteria for
detections of varying degrees of certainty. As part of this
activity, it is authorised to maintain lists of objects satisfying
these criteria; if it so wishes, this responsibility may be
delegated to a technical subgroup appointed by the WG Chair.
- Shall report on its activities to the annual meetings of the
Executive Committee and make recommendations on such matters as it
finds suitable, including any changes in the organization of IAU
activities in the field.